- CDTC Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee – Tue, 2/14/17, 9:00 AM, 1 Park Place, Albany NY 12205.
ABC Meeting – Thr, 2/23, 7:00 PM.
Empire State Trail Conference – Thr, 3/2 – More information to follow.
Earth Day Canal Clean Sweep – Fri-Sun, 4/21-23. Info here.
Explore the Erie Canalway Trail – Sat-Sun (9 days), 7/8-16. Info here.
NYBC “New York Bike Summit-Albany” – Fri, 9/15. Inaugural New York Bike Summit. One-day event on accelerating progress on bicycle, pedestrian, and active transportation activity. Call for workshop proposals. Info here.
Category Archives: Events
A Century of Riding Bliss
As another step toward exploring all the bicycle paths in New York State, cyclist Ed set out over the 2016 Labor Day Weekend to complete the following Century.
Summary – Home in the New Scotland Ave. area of Albany – to Slingerlands, Albany, Mechanicville, Ballston Spa, Amsterdam, Niskayuna, and back to home. Total per Google maps – 107.6 miles and with various diversions – 115.0 miles.
- 2.2 miles Home to Albany County Helderberg Hudson Rail Trail
- 7.0 miles Albany County Rail Trail to Corning Riverfront Park/Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail
- 5.0 miles to Watervliet
- 5.8 miles through Watervliet/Green Island to Black Bridge and the Delaware Ave. Trail through Van Schaick Island and Peebles Island, Cohoes, to Waterford.
- 9.0 miles Rt. 4 from Waterford to Brookwood Rd. to Old Champlain Canal Trail (gravel) Upper Newton Rd. to Rt. 4 to Mechanicville/Main St.
- 4.1 miles South St. /Pruyn Hill Rd. climbs to Johnson Rd., right onto Staniak Rd., to Coons Crossing Rd., to Zim Smith Mid-County Trail
- 9.1 miles Zim Smith Mid-County Trail to Ballston Spa
- 0.8 miles left E. High St. right Low St. to Ballston Spa Front Street Park
- 3.6 miles Rt. 67/Rt. 50 South from Ballston Spa to left Outlet Rd.
- 4.0 miles outlet Rd., right on Ballston Bicycle Path to Ballston Lake, right on 146A
- Few yards north on 146A, left on Lake Hill Rd.
- 15.2 miles Lake Hill Rd. becoming Stage Rd. in Charlton, jog left to Maple Ave. Left on Packer Rd. to EaSt.ern Ave. becoming WeSt.ern Ave. in West Charlton. Right Westline Rd. Left Waite Rd. to Rt. 67 north of Amsterdam
- 4.8 miles Left Rt. 67 to Amsterdam to roof of Riverfront Center parking lot (this included about 2 extra miles looping around downtown Amsterdam looking for the route to cross to the Riverfront Park/Gateway Overlook Bridge.
- 0.5 mile bridge/elevator from roof of Riverfront to “Riverlink Park.” Over the new (August 2016) Mohawk Valley Gateway Overlook Bridge to Erie Canalway Trail just past Erie St.
- 29.0 miles Canalway Trail/5S thru Pattersonville, Rotterdam Junction, Schenectady over to Scotia – on a (nasty, nameless) trail at end of Collins Park to Freemans Bridge
- Back to Schenectady/Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail to Lions Park, Niskayuna
- 3.2 miles Left Old River Rd., Right Rosendale Rd., Left Rt. 7, right British American Blvd (bike lanes) to Cornell Rd., to Shaker Trail (paved), and to left on Airline Dr
- 2.3 miles Airline Dr that becomes S. Family Drive to left on Sand Creek. Sand Creek to right Morello Drive – left on Central 1 block, to Lincoln Ave.
- 3.2 miles Lincoln to the City Dump and Six Mile Waterworks Trail, Rt. on Multi-Use Trail along Fuller to Circle by UAlbany, Tricentennial Dr.
- 4.6 miles UALBANY Bike Path to WeSt.ern Ave., left on WeSt.ern to HomeSt.ead, left on Hazlehurst which becomes Berkshire to Right on Ormond becomes Friebel Rd. / left on Krumkill to New Scotland, Right on New Scotland, and back home.
This is a good ride to gain an appreciation of the touring opportunities in the area. The ride could be broken up into two or three segments for those wanting to commit to a “century” ride. [Ed.]
It was a fine day in sunny Troy for the annual “Collar City Ramble.” Lots of work really paid off to make the day a rewarding experience for those who came. The Ramble HQ was at the entrance to the world famous Troy Farmers Market at recently refurbished Riverfront Park on River Street. Adjacent to the Farmer Market and Ramble HQ was a big area for a children’s bicycle rodeo.
The Albany Bicycle contingent decided to split itself over the in two rides offered – a river level route to the Uncle Sam Trail and back and a climb-the-hill ride to RPI and then on to the Uncle Sam Trail. When we got to the northern end of the trail – after using Troy’s new bicycle lane on Middleburgh St. – we were treated to a grand circus performance in a sun-dappled clearing in the trail.
All in all a great day in Troy!
- Ramble info
- Juggler at the Uncle Sam Trail circus
- Trapeze artist, juggler, and the Ring Master
- Ramble HQ – Lots of good info
- Ready to RIDE!
- Fearless leaders – Brent and St. Andrew
- Trapeze artists and appreciative riders
- The Big Tunnel on the Uncle Sam Trail