Renewable Energy & Sustainable Living Fair – Sat, 10/28
10 AM – 4 PM, Doane Stuart School
Albany Bicycle Coalition members Margaret, Theo, Ed, and Rob lit up the Energy Fair with a display of ABC products and accomplishments augmented by information from Parks & Trails New York on the Erie Canalway Trail and on the new Albany-Hudson Electric Trail. The display (see photo) included a live demo of the BikeAlbanyMap. Serval visitors to our booth expressed appreciation for the work of the Coalition – always nice to hear.
By 11:00 AM, the exhibit, activity, and presentation areas were full with an energetic and engaged audience. The Fair featured an electric vehicle show, a tour of Doane Stuart’s green roof, exhibitors and displays for solar, wind and geothermal energy, net-zero building and insulation, solar phone chargers, LED bulbs and other energy efficiency products and services. There was a Radix Ecological Sustainability Center exhibit on composting, and others on community gardens, bicycling initiatives, bees/pesticide use, Earth-friendly and sustainably sourced products, and crafts.
Links of interest:
The Albany Bicycle Coalition held the Earth Day Ride from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM on Earth Day – Saturday, 4/22/17. The ride started and ended at the Lake House in Albany’s Washington Park.
For more exciting photos by Bert, go here.
- Riders – 26
- Nice spread of genders and ages.
- Donations for the BikeAlbanyMap – $27.00
- Albany Police Department Bicycle Officers – 6
- Miles – 6
- Highlights of the ride:
- Briefing on the BikeAlbanyMap at the ride start
- Ride protocol briefing by the ride leader
- Use of the BikeAlbanyMap routes for much of the ride
- Orientation on the need for and status of the South End Bikeway Link – at Island Creek Park (where there is neither an island nor a creek – but it’s a hidden Albany gem and a great feature of the South End Bikeway Link )
- Orientation on the Corning Riverfront Park redesign with emphasis on the new green path – at the pedestrian/bicycle bridge
- Glitches – none except for a slight chill in the air.
Filed under Earth Day, Rides
The Earth Day Expo & Bicycle Parade – 2016 scheduled for Sunday, April 17, 11 AM to 4 Pm will feature a 12-mile “Bicycle Parade.” The ride will assemble at the Washington Park Lake House at 9:00 AM.
Where are they?
Taking advantage of our early spring, the ride’s planners did a preliminary assessment of the route and made some final adjustments to ensure that its attractiveness to riders.
From the Lake House, the Parade will feature low-stress cycling on a flat, lightly trafficked route and will stop at two sites with a strong Earth Day presence.
Sunny day at last!
Follow me …