The Capital Region’s Bike-friendly Routes
Albany Bicycle Coalition’s online bike map now serves the central capital region including Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Rensselaer, Delmar, Colonie, Niskayuna, and more. New 2021 routes
Routes added 2019-2020
Questions & comments, email to: email@example.com
- Click any map icon for pop-up information.
- Use the Directions button to plan your route using our network.
- The map is free to the public, and available 24/7.
Some routes on this map are circuitous to avoid hazardous areas and high traffic. Once you are comfortable riding in traffic, you can “straighten out” portions of routes as desired. Unless you are experienced cycling in traffic, avoid busy streets such as Central Avenue.
• Be alert for potholes, and cracks running in your direction of travel. Many streets suffer damage from winter conditions.
• Shoulders may be in poor condition or may contain debris. You – the bicycle rider – decide whether the shoulder is safe for riding.
Traffic Light Sensors and Pedestrian Signals
When stopped at a red light on a side street: seams in the pavement or a square metal plate indicate sensors under the street, which turn the light green when a motor vehicle is there. They do not respond to bicycles. Either wait for a car to trip the sensor, or use a pedestrian button (on the traffic light post). Press the button and wait for the green light or the walk light.
• Bicycles must obey the same traffic signs and signals as motor vehicles.
• Ride on the right in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic.
• Do not ride on the sidewalk in Albany (except children under 10).
• Riding next to parked cars: allow clearance – watch for doors opening.
• Use hand signals before turning, changing lanes, or stopping (as long as you can steer safely).
• Shared lane markings on pavement (“sharrows”) alert drivers to your presence. But use caution and keep to the right.
• Pedestrians have the right of way.
More Traffic Law information for NY State Cyclists
CDTC’s regional trail plan
Principle funding for this map: 2016 NY State grant from Assemblymember Patricia Fahy.
Resources for Cyclists
CDPHP Cycle! BikeShare – BikeShare in the Capital Region
Bikes on CDTA Buses and Video Instructions
Empire State Trail map
Erie Canalway Bike Map
Printable bike map, City of Albany, JPG format, 11×17 paper or larger
Due to the wide variety of printers and computers, we can’t provide technical support for printing.
WNYT News 13 TV Sep. 12, 2020
Nippertown, Sep. 9, 2020
News 10 TV Nov. 18, 2016
All Over Albany Nov. 17, 2016
Times Union front page Oct. 16, 2016
All Over Albany Oct. 5, 2016
All Over Albany May 16, 2016
CapitalNYBikeMap.com was built using
• Google Maps API (free for low-volume applications)
• Carto – open-source GIS database
• QGIS (snaps route segments together)
• Web hosting by DreamHost