At the recent Capital District Transportation Committee Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting, Barton & Loguidice – the project engineers for the “Black Bridge Project” – briefed the group on plans for its completion. Those who have taken the bridge as part of a wonderful ride from Albany, Watervaliet, Green Island, or Cohoes to Waterford and beyond can attest to for the final changes on this project.
For background and information on this riding opportunity, see also –
Here is a summary of what is done and planned to complete of the original $499,000 project by April 2018:
- Pave the stone portion of the trail south of and leading up to the bridge
- Install a half-way-point shelter/rest stop
- Add a Cannon St. trailhead in Green Island with a shelter, motor vehicle parking, and info kiosk
- Install security cameras linked to local police
- Modernize and enhance the existing lighting
- Open up views of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers at the northbound approach to the bridge (ED: why removing the trees was needed, is a mystery. There never was a problem finding either river)
If you want to plan a nice ride with major off-road portions, check the referenced links so you can include the Black Bridge in your 2018 riding plans.