Please attend the annual and national Ride of Silence on this Wednesday, May 20. Your participation honors cyclists killed or injured in collisions with automobiles. Our silence during the ride promotes safety awareness and mutual respect on the road. We will visit the ghost bike sites in the City of Albany and Colonie.
There are two Starting Points – Boat Launch area, Albany Corning Preserve, 6:00 PM and W. Capitol Park & Washington Ave. & State St., 6:30 PM.
Anyone with a bicycle and helmet is welcome to this slow-pace and quiet ride. If you prefer not to ride, please meet at Diva De Loayza’s site at the corner of Western Ave., Homestead, and University Place (near Sunoco station, the Uncommon Grounds plaza, and All Saints RC Church).
Please remember your fellow riders:
- Stephen Nolan – June 2, 2014 (age 53, killed by car, King & Federal Sts., Troy)
- Brian Bailey – March 11, 2014 (age 37, bicyclist killed by truck, Route 9W, Ravena)
- Matthew Ratelle – December 20, 2012 (age 40, bicyclist killed by impaired driver, Rt. 22, Petersburg)
- Paul J. Merges, Jr. – November 24, 2012 (age 45, bicyclist killed by pickup truck/drunk driver, Manning and Roosevelt, Albany)
- Nicholas Richichi – October 19, 2007 (age 53, bicyclist killed by motor coach, Fuller Rd., Colonie)
- Diva De Loayza – June 6, 2007 (age 40; bicyclist killed by car, Western Ave. at Homestead, Albany)
- Alan R. Fairbanks – October 29, 2006 (age 72; bicyclist died after being hit by car, Rt. 5-S at bicycle path, Rotterdam)
- Jose Perez – August 3, 2006 (age 60; bicyclist killed by SUV, Broadway at Quay St., Albany.)
- Joel Melnikoff – July 3, 2006 (age 49; bicyclist killed by car/drunk, Rt. 32, Bethlehem)
- David Ryan – June 29, 2004 (age 32; bicyclist killed by car/reckless driver, Riverview Rd., Rexford)
- Robert F. Zayhowski – July 16, 2000 (age 43; bicyclist killed by SUV/drunk driver, Rt. 66, Sand Lake)
2 responses to “Ride of Silence 2105 – Wed, 5/20, 6:00 and 6:30 PM”
Thank you for this post!
What is the route for the ride of silence? where does it end and about how many miles long is it? Is there a police escort?