For more info, go to: food-cycle-building-soil-with-pedal-power
What we want to do: Food Cycle, a project of Troy Bike Rescue
and Collard City Growers, is a bicycle compost delivery project employing neighborhood youth. It diverts household and restaurant food and yard waste back into the ground on our urban farm all by way of the transportation of the future: The bicycle!
Food Cycle will create a hyper-local compost network that lays the groundwork for a self-sustaining, scalable enterprise. We need the help of financial backers for initial investment.
How we’ll do it:
- Build cargo bikes and trailers from recycled bikes and parts
- Grow food in the garden
- Collect food scraps and other organic material from neighborhood households and businesses by bicycle
- Pedal the loads to the large compost bins at our garden site
- Use the finished compost to build more soil in our garden
- Bikes and trailers will also be used to deliver fresh produce to people in the neighborhood and beyond
Who we are: Collard City Growers is a grassroots demonstration garden and composting project located in North Central Troy. We turned a vacant lot located in a brown fields-designated area into an urban garden, drawing upon resources from the community and the Upstate New York region to grow produce and the next generation of growers.
Troy Bike Rescue is a collective of bicycle enthusiasts committed to removing bikes from the waste stream and putting them back into use. TBR operates a volunteer-run community bike space where we organize:
- DiY bike repair nights – Open Shop
- Hands-on bicycle education –Learn & Earn
- Sliding scale bicycle adoption by Suggested Donation
We help to build bicycle community in the capital region through hands-on education.