Barton & Loguidice are the project engineers for the unpaved section of the Black Bridge trail on the Green Island side of the Mohawk River. A recent report by these engineers stimulated a visit to see the work accomplished to date. For more on this project, see Black Bridge Revisited – A New Beginning
For background and information on this riding opportunity, see also – The Black Bridge Isn’t – https://albanybicyclecoalition.com/2016/08/04/the-black-bridge-isnt/ and The Black Bridge and Beyond – https://albanybicyclecoalition.com/2016/08/09/the-black-bridge-and-beyond/
The following views tell the whole story of progress to date:
- Entrance to the trail that was previously unpaved
- Trail view north toward Cohoes and Waterford/Railroad Ave. – Delaware Ave.
- Trail view south toward Green Island/Cannon St. with Silhouette Optical visible through the trees to the right
- Parking area with rest stop #1 that will have with a shelter and info kiosk
- Rest stop #2 that will have with a shelter
- Rest stop #3
- Retractable pylon and new lighting fixture
The Black Bridge is a connecting route on the New York State Canal Corp trail system/Empire State Trail. It goes between the Mohawk Hudson Bike-Hike Trail and the Champlain Canalway Trail. A cyclist can now leave the Albany Riverfront Park and travel to Peebles Island, Waterford, and the Champlain Canalway north without having to cross I-787.